As you know, I'm now in the midst of my 14-day Zespri Kiwi Challenge. My kids and I have been munching on kiwifruits everyday, and some of my friends have been asking me if kiwifruits are really so good. I have to say, so far we've been enjoying our daily intake of Vitamin C, and my kids seemed to have very smooth ahem bowel movements, which is always a good thing in kids.
So for my friends who asked, I googled and found some nutritional facts about kiwifruits. Sharing with you guys!
* * * *
10 Nutritional Facts About Kiwifruits
1. Kiwifruit are the nutrition powerhouse of fruit
Kiwifruit consistently rank at the top of fruit in nutrition density models which tell us exactly how nutritious food are. That means you get more vitamins and minerals per gram, and per calorie, of kiwifruit than most other fruit.
2. Kiwifruit are rich in vitamin C
While everyone always think of oranges for vitamin C they should think kiwifruit. In fact there is twice as much vitamin C in kiwifruit as there are in oranges. So much in fact you only need one kiwifruit each day to get the amount recommended for your daily intake (RDA).
3. Other vitamins that kiwifruit are especially high in compared to other fruit
Its quite unusual for a low fat food, let alone fruit to be a good source of vitamin E (well known for its heart health and antioxidant properties) - but kiwifruit is a great low fat natural source of vitamin E
A natural source of folic acid which is needed to prevent neural defects in babies (you need folic acid both before and during pregnancy) as well as brain and cognitive development in children and cardiovascular disease. Everyone needs to have enough in their diet. In fact folic acid is so important many countries are considering adding Folic Acid to flour to ensure we get enough.
It has about the same levels as bananas but only half the calories - making kiwifruit an excellent low sodium, increased potassium source - potentially beneficial in the maintenance of blood pressure and for heart health.
4. Kiwifruit are a good source of the carotenoid lutein
Kiwifruit has not only one of the highest concentrations of lutein in fruits - but the lutein in kiwifruit has recently been shown to be really highly bioaccessible (better than from vegetables) and so it is bio-available - meaning it can actually do good things such as help to prevent age related deterioration of eye-sight.
5. Kiwifruit are naturally high in antioxidants (e.g. polyphenols, carotenoids) and other potentially beneficial phytochemicals including some unique enzymes
Eating kiwifruit is a sure way to get your daily intake of antioxidants to help fight the damage cause by free radicals and oxidative stress.
6. Kiwifruit can help improve the function of your immune system
Natural protection from daily challenges helping you to ward off the effects of stress, inflammation and attack from bacteria and viruses. Recent and ongoing trials have shown kiwifruit to be highly effective at beneficially modulating the immune system.
7. Eating just two kiwifruit a day has been proven to reduce the amount of oxidative damage to your cells and improve the repair of damaged DNA caused by oxidative stress
This has been shown in human studies both in New Zealand and Europe.
8. Eating kiwifruit with your meal reduces the oxidative stress resulting on your body from the meal - especially if it is a high fat meal
Researchers in the United States found that people who ate kiwifruit with / after a meal had a marked reduction in the markers of oxidative stress.
9. Just 2 - 3 kiwifruit a day has been shown to reduce blood platelet aggregation
Platelet aggregation is a known risk factor for cardiovascular disease - it contributes to arterial and blood vessel blocking.
10. Kiwifruit are really great to relieve that bloated and blocked feeling
Recognised widely as a natural digestive aid, this is due to the unique combination of fibre and other components in kiwifruit.
* * * *
Sounds pretty good if you ask me! There are more articles (findings based on research) here on Zespri Kiwifruits as well, if you are interested. :)
So, if you are a non fruit-lover like me, why not try to live healthier by taking some kiwifruits everyday? There are still so many things we need to do and experience in life, and a healthy body is definitely a pre-requisite to getting anything done at all.
We can all become healthier! Let's do it! :)